Fourth consecutive year of GCSE improvements for the academy
Students and staff at Shoreham Academy are today celebrating their best ever set of GCSE results, which demonstrate a fourth consecutive year of improving outcomes.
With the new 9-1 grading system for English and maths, 65% of the academy’s students achieved five or more A*-Cs including 4+ in English and maths – an increase on last year.
The results for English and maths individually were also strong:
- In maths, 70% of students achieved at least grade 4 and 48% achieved grade 5 or above;
- In English Literature, 78% of students achieved at least grade 4 and 60% achieved grade 5 or above;
- In English Language, 76% of students achieved at least grade 4 and 55% achieved grade 5 or above.
As well as the overall improvements at Shoreham Academy, there were notable individual successes, including several students achieving the brand new, top grade of ‘9’ in English and maths. These included:
- Mubeen Noor, who achieved 9s in English Language, English Literature, maths as well as five A*s and four As;
- Shona Hunter, who achieved 9s in English Language and Maths, 8 in English Literature, six A*s and four As;
- Natasha Tredgold, who achieved 9s in English Language and Literature, 8 in maths plus nine A*s and one A;
- Tamara Ewins, who achieved 9 in Maths, 8 in English Literature, 7 in English Language, as well as seven A*s and three As;
- Alesha Matthews, who achieved 9 in English Language, 8s in English Literature and maths plus six A*s and two As;
- Jasmine Carey, who achieved 9 in English Language, 8 in English Literature, 7 in maths, six A*s and two As;
- Imogen Thompson, who achieved 8s in English Language and Literature, 7 in maths plus five A*s and two As;
- Mohsina Alam, who achieved 9 in English Language, 7s in English Literature and maths as well as four A*s and three As;
- Fintan Holland, who achieved 8s in English Language and Literature, 7 in maths plus three A*s and three As;
- Sydney Salkeld, who achieved 9 in English Language, 8 in maths, 7 in English Literature plus eight As.
Jim Coupe, Principal of Shoreham Academy, said:
“We really are delighted with these results today, which show another year of improvements at the academy and, most importantly, are a fitting reward for our students’ hard work and perseverance. Congratulations to everyone and thanks to our excellent staff team who have worked tirelessly to prepare and support our students for their examinations.
“This success also builds on our A Level results of last week, which saw more of our students than ever gaining places at top Oxbridge and Russell Group universities. We look forward to welcoming the majority of our Year 11 cohort back into our Sixth Form in September, where I know they will be hoping to replicate this summer’s success as they begin their A Levels.”
David Oakes, Vice Principal leading on Key Stage 4, said:
“I am so pleased for the students celebrating their GCSE results today. They have worked brilliantly this year, and indeed over the past five years, and it is great that all their hard work has paid off with such a tremendous set of results. It has been a real pleasure to work with such a talented group of young adults and I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate them collectively and wish them all the very best in their further studies.”
Mubeen Noor said:
“It has been so difficult but so rewarding. Thank you to all of my teachers, I cannot wait to join the academy Sixth Form in September!”
Moshina Alam said:
“It is amazing. Thanks so much to my fantastic teachers!”
Sydney Salkeld said:
“I have been so nervous but I am over the moon! I cannot wait to tell my mum!”