Students and staff at Bacon’s College are celebrating again today as GCSE qualifications are awarded, following the university successes of Sixth Formers on Tuesday.
This year, due to the cancellation of external examinations, GCSEs were awarded following Teacher Assessed Grades (TAGs). As part of this assessment process, students at Bacon’s sat moderated examinations and completed a variety of coursework to demonstrate the progress they had made.
Today was therefore a chance to congratulate students for their hard work and perseverance, not only through the disruption of the pandemic but over the last five years.
Those celebrating particular individual successes included:
- Chanel Asumda, who was awarded eight Grade 9s and one Grade 8;
- Elisa Kelene Sanchez, who was also awarded eight Grade 9s and one Grade 8;
- Finn Ashworth, who was awarded seven Grade 9s and two Grade 8s;
- Nico Gotsov, who was awarded seven Grade 9s – including in English Literature, English Language and Maths – and one Distinction*;
- Daria Balantseva, who was awarded six Grade 9s – including in English Literature, English Language and Maths – plus three Grade 8s and one Distinction*;
- Kenza Boulil, who was awarded six Grade 9s, two Grade 8s and one Grade 7.
Today’s news follows A Level results day earlier in the week, which saw a strong proportion of Bacon’s College Sixth Formers secure places at the UK’s top Russell Group universities. Many Year 11s will now be preparing to return to the school’s Sixth Form to begin their own A Level studies.
Commenting on students’ achievements, James Wilson, Principal at Bacon’s College, said:
“Today’s grades reflect the hard work and resilience shown by our GCSE cohort this year. We are proud of how every student has responded to the challenges of the past 18 months and with these qualifications we hope that all of them can go onto the next stage of their education ready to achieve well. These successes obviously build on those of our Sixth Formers earlier this week, who have shown the benefits of a Bacon’s College education in terms of accessing some of the highest calibre universities in the country.”