Sixth Form students at The Regis School are today celebrating their A Level and Level 3 Vocational results which show a significant increase on previous years.
21% of A Levels were awarded A*-A (up from 9% last year) with 33% awarded A*-B (up from 24% in 2015).
Some specific A level subjects did particularly well with 66% of all History grades and half of all Maths grades achieving A*-B. A Level Textiles produced outstanding results for yet another year with 92% of students achieving top grades.
Vocational performance saw significant gains with 71% of all grades equivalent to A*-B, a rise of 29% on the previous year. 87% achieved A*-C equivalent grades and a 100% pass rate overall.
The school’s Sports Academy continued to produce outstanding results with 25 Distinction Stars (D*) and 7 Distinctions (D), Health and Social Care achieved 21 D* and 1 Ds, and Performing Arts (including Music) achieved 9 D* and 3 Ds. These vocational grades are equivalent to A* and A grades.
Amongst those celebrating A Level results are:
- Reece Mears who was awarded A* further maths, A* maths, A Physics, A Chemistry and will now study Data Science at Warwick University. Reece said “I couldn’t be happier! I was confident I would get a place at Warwick but was not expecting an A* in further maths. I have loved being at The Regis School and have been really well supported by the staff and want to thank them for helping me to achieve my goal”
- Katy Green who was awarded A grades in Maths, Chemistry and Biology and will study Medicine at Bristol University. Katy said “I am over the moon with my results. I didn’t expect 3 A grades although Mrs Hook told me I would. I am so happy to receive the offer from Bristol to study medicine”
- Lucy Stubbings who achieved A*s in Biology, English Lit and A in Maths and will study English Language at Cardiff University;
- Nick Piatt made outstanding progress over his 2 year A level courses achieving Bs in Government & Pol and History and a C in English. He will study Mental Health Nursing at Kingston University;
Level 3 BTEC successes include:
- Luisa Namadila who achieved at A level, A* Sociology, A Psychology and at BTEC Double D* BTEC Health and Social Care and will study Psychology at Southampton University;
- Georgina Keywood who achieved Triple Distinction* in BTEC Sport and will study Physical Education for Secondary at Chichester University
- Ceri Marsh who was awarded Triple Distinction* in BTEC Sport and will study Football Studies at Southampton Solent University.
Congratulating students on their results, Siobhan Hook, Head of 6th form at The Regis School said:
“These fantastic results are well-deserved by an extremely hard-working and able year group. They have shown an outstanding commitment to their studies and I am absolutely delighted for them. I am also immensely proud of them and I would like to wish them every future success in their chosen university and career choices. I am confident that they will continue to excel and make a significant contribution in their chosen fields.”
Mike Garlick, Principal of The Regis School, added:
“Our Sixth Form students have all worked very hard throughout their time here and I am delighted that their commitment and talent has been recognised in these results. These grades will allow them to go on to university and into careers of their choice.
“We offer a diverse range of level 3 courses that meet the needs of our students and our results in A Level and Vocational courses show our continued year-on-year improvements. It is always a pleasure to see your students get the grades they deserve and need for the next stage of their lives and today we are celebrating some notable successes.
“We have an increasingly popular Sixth Form at The Regis School and these results demonstrate the very positive outcomes that our students are able to achieve here. I’d like to congratulate all of them and thank our staff for the significant contribution they make to its success”.