01832 864 444

A Level Results

Lincoln Minster pupil wins art competition

Lincoln Minster pupil wins art competition

Pupil set to travel to Tokyo where his work will be displayed

A Lincoln Minster pupil is celebrating after being announced as the winner of the United Learning Art Competition.  Year 12 pupil Artur Giniiatullin’s winning piece Mr Blow the Pirate was chosen out of 25 entries as the winner of United Learning’s annual competition.

Coinciding with United Learning’s IDeas Festival, the art competition asked pupils to create artwork around the theme of identity.  Pupils across the Group were invited to submit entries which were judged by professional artist Jacki Cairns.  Jacki’s scoring accounted for 80% of the overall mark whilst the remaining 20% was decided by a Facebook audience where users were asked to ‘Like’ their favourite piece.

As winner, Artur will travel to Tokyo this summer to present his work at the International Arts Festival.  Artur’s work will be displayed alongside that of four other United Learning pupils:

  • Liana Sutherland, Surbiton High School;
  • Natalie Rogers, Kettering Buccleuch Academy;
  • Emilie Morgan Bartlett-Rawlings, Dunottar School;
  • Sophia Perkins, Kettering Buccleuch Academy.

A delighted Artur said:

“I have been interested in art my entire life but seriously got into it a year and a half ago.  As I became more and more interested in art, I increasingly understood how character and narrative fitted together and this is how I approached painting Mr Blow the Pirate.  My Psychology teacher, Mr Blow, was the source of inspiration for my painting.  Initially I was interested in Rembrandt’s work, especially in his self-portraits where he was dressing up for himself to paint.  He was an old man who acted as a child by dressing up in unusual clothes, creating a stage for himself and playing the leading role.  Mr Blow reminded me of him in the way that he is playing a character on a stage in front of his students.

“I am absolutely thrilled to have won the art competition and would like to thank the Lincoln Minster School Art Department and my parents.  Through their overwhelming support and encouragement, I have been able to focus on art and create work that I am proud of.

“I am incredibly excited about the trip to Japan.  I still cannot believe that my work is going to go on display at an international exhibition.  I can’t wait to see it displayed alongside the other United Learning pupils’ work.”

Professional artist Jacki Cairns who judged the competition, said:

“I very much enjoyed judging these and was staggered by the talent and variety of the pieces.”

Explaining why she chose Artur’s piece as the winner, Jacki said:

“I love the brushwork in this piece.  The stark lighting gives it lots of impact.  Mr Blow’s cheerful expression is a great contrast to the starkly lit image.”

United Learning’s Martina Montecchiarini said:

“We would like to congratulate Artur on winning the art competition and thank everyone who submitted entries.  The standard of entries this year was incredibly high and showcased the fantastic talent of students across United Learning.  It was great to see so many people getting involved in the competition by visiting the Facebook page and 'liking' their favourite piece.

“This was the perfect introduction to this year’s IDeas Festival about identity and we are really looking forward to seeing how students explore the idea of identity through other forms of art over the coming months.”

To find out more about the IDeas Festival, please visit our dedicated microsite.



Website Terms & Privacy

United Learning