Staff and students at Paddington Academy are today celebrating the best results in the school’s 10 year history.
Today’s overall results saw figures rise to their highest ever at the school:
- 26% of A Level Grades were awarded the highest marks of A*/A;
- 59% of A Level Grades were awarded A*-B;
- 89% of A Level Grades were awarded A*-C
The results meant that students at the Academy will take up increasingly competitive university places, with more than ever now accepting places at prestigious Russell Group universities.
Two individuals celebrating today were:
- Najeeb Islam who obtained 2 A*s and 2 As and will take up a place at Cambridge University to study Engineering. He is the Academy’s fourth student in recent years to accept an Oxbridge place;
- Yusra Anshoor, who is celebrating the highest ever A Level score achieved at the school by achieving 4 A* grades at A Level. This significant achievement is only secured by fewer than 0.03% of all students nationally, and was achieved in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. Yusra will now take up her offer at Imperial College, London to read Chemical Engineering.
Other top performers included:
- Mikhail Rozanov who achieved 3 A*s and 1 A and will read Mathematics at Bath University;
- Mohammed Khan who achieved an A*, 2As and a B and will study Pharmacy at Kings College London;
- Teuta Selmani whose 3As mean she will take up a place at Imperial College London to read Biology.
Others in the Sixth Form were celebrating excellent vocational qualifications’ results. 83% of all BTEC entries were Distinction or Distinction*, which represents the Academy’s highest performance ever in these qualifications which include Applied Science and Business.
The Paddington Academy Sixth Form has grown significantly over the last four years and this year’s cohort contained 141 students. There has been a steady increase in the number of A Level entries, whilst at the same time maintaining high grade standards in terms of outcomes for students.
Offering all the students his congratulations, Peter Jones, Principal at Paddington Academy, said:
“Everyone in the academy will be delighted for those students celebrating today. It is particularly pleasing that over our ten years as a school, we have seen consistent improvement in results and university destinations for students. We have created a Sixth Form that bursts with talent and opportunity and which our younger students aspire to join.
“We are delighted that Najeeb is our fourth student in recent years to obtain an Oxbridge place on a highly competitive Engineering course at Cambridge University. He is a credit to the school and has been an outstanding student throughout his time here.
“Around the country there is a decline in students choosing to study STEM subjects. We are delighted to buck that trend as the Sciences and Maths are our most popular A Level courses.
“We are equally pleased that our students buck gender trends nationally: our highest-ever A Level performer, Yusra, gained her 4 A* grades in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Psychology and will study Chemical Engineering at Imperial College, London. We believe that all girls should be encouraged to take these rewarding subjects.
“Each year we are increasing the number of our students that go on to higher performing universities; many are the first in their families to go to university and we are very proud of their achievement.
“As ever, we also have some excellent results in vocational subjects which will open the doors to careers and further study for the students concerned and give them a strong academic start to their adult and professional lives.
“I’d like to thank our staff for the excellent work they do in encouraging our sixth formers to reach their potential. Their enthusiasm and commitment has a remarkable impact on our students and keeps them motivated and driven towards to achieving the best grades they can.