Following the release of A Level results, students and staff at Walthamstow Academy are celebrating today with the academy continuing to build on its strong track record.
Over 40% of the Sixth Formers will now be taking up places at Russell Group universities this autumn, with others going on to their first choice of university or other forms of further and higher education.
15% of its A Level entries were awarded the highest A*/A grades, 42% A*-B and 67% A*-C.
For vocational qualifications, 82% were awarded Distinction*/Distinction.
Some of those celebrating today include:
- Blenard who achieved A*, A, B and is off to UCL to study Architecture. He said:
“The hard work, stress and determination all paid off in the end. I want to personally thank my teachers for putting up with me and being there when I needed them most”.
- The academy’s Head Prefect, Sharon, who is off to complete a BA in Education Studies at Middlesex University, having achieved a double Distinction* at BTEC and an A Level in Psychology. She said:
“It’s been a rollercoaster, but hey – I made it. I’m thankful to all the teachers for their tremendous support”.
- Daveon, one of the academy’s two Head Boys, who achieved a double Distinction* at BTEC and a Biology A Level, and will be taking up a place at Brunel University to study Sport and Exercise Science. He said:
“If you work hard you can go anywhere.”
- Thas, who achieved A, A, C and is off to Queen Mary, University of London to study Economics. He said:
“Hard work and dedication paves the path to success.”
- Rashaan, who will study Psychology at Brunel, having achieved Double Distinction* Distinction at BTEC and an A Level in Psychology, and has also been awarded a scholarship to attend. He said:
“Walthamstow Academy has been a series of life lessons, achievements and overwhelming joy. I’ve been a part of the Academy cohort for 7 years and I’ve grown from a shy and passive character to a well-known sports role model and very opinionated individual. It is like I have been practically raised here and now I move on to the next chapter of my life…adulthood”.
- Asher, the academy’s other Head Boy, who achieved great results and is off to York to study Politics. He said:
“With the right support from our teachers and friends, I’m very pleased to be going to a Russell Group University. My advice to next year’s cohort would be to listen to your teachers, use independent study periods and relax and have a break throughout the Academic year”.
Emma Skae, Principal of Walthamstow Academy, said:
“I am extremely pleased for our students who are celebrating today. Over the past few years our ambition for our Sixth Formers has grown and we now see many more accepting places at Russell Group universities to study the subjects that employers value the most.
“Many of these students have been with us since Year 7 and it is always a pleasure to see them mature as learners and ultimately achieve far more than they would have thought possible when they were younger. But we also attract students from other schools, who come to Walthamstow Academy because they are impressed by our Sixth Form and know how much our students enjoy their time here.
“Talking to our students today, it is lovely to hear how significant Walthamstow Academy has been to their lives over the past seven years. We are a close-knit school and I know that their success will be appreciated by our younger students who will share our pride in what they have achieved.”