Below are free resources for reading, writing and phonics:
Here are some free resources which might be helpful, now that schools and libraries are closed and access to reading material is more difficult:
- The Literacy Trust has launched a portal for parents/carers which they are constantly updating. It is split into age groups and has a wealth of wonderful resources, access to books, audio books and videos and lots of simple ideas and activities to engage your child at home.
- The Book Trust has top tips and lots of information about books, including a Book Finder tool and advice about which book your child might like based on the books he/she has enjoyed so far. There is a new Home Time section with online books, videos, quizzes, illustrator workshops, competitions and activities.
- Audible has made all stories free while schools are closed. There is a range, in six different languages, which can be streamed to a phone, tablet, laptop or computer for children (and you) to listen to.
- CLPE (Centre for Literacy in Primary Education) has lots of free resources, including poems and videos of poets reading their poems. You need to register to access some of their site, but it is free to do so.
- Oxford Owl have over 100 free e-books for children aged 3 – 11 years.
- Love My Books has lots of ideas to help children and parents/carers enjoy reading together.
- Get Epic! offers 30 days free access to lots of non-fiction books which you can read online. Some are also audio books which you and your child can listen to.
- The Reading Realm has daily activities based on books which they are providing online.
- International Children’s Digital Library has a range of online books in a range of different languages.
- BBC Bitesize has plenty of reading activities, and there's lots of stories to listen to on CBeebies.
- The Story Time YouTube channel is growing every day and features teachers and trainee teachers reading books. You might even find your child’s class teacher reading there!
- Researchify – Classic children’s books in audio, PDF and Word formats
- The World of David Walliams - One free audio book reading is available to listen to every day
- Poetry By Heart - A wide selection of poetry covering different topics
- Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler Home Learning Packs - Free activity packs for 3-7 year olds to complete as you read the books
- Free Writing Friday – Creative writing inspiration from Cressida Cowell, author of ‘How To Train Your Dragon’
- The Fiction Collection – Pictures and questions to inspire creative writing
- Pobble 365 - A new image is published each day as a basis for creative writing. Story starters, questions and drawing ideas are provided