01832 864 444

600-mile Sport Relief bike challenge will take staff from Ashford to Bournemouth to Carlisle

600-mile Sport Relief bike challenge will take staff from Ashford to Bournemouth to Carlisle

This March, United Learning is launching an epic week of fundraising, the main event of which will be Ride ABC: a gruelling 600-mile bike ride from Ashford to Bournemouth to Carlisle.

The journey is being undertaken by United Learning’s Head of Sport Shaun Dowling and Educational Technologist Bruce Wilson, who will aim to cover 25 of the Group’s schools over the eight-day trip. Beginning at Ashford School in Kent, the challenge will take them through to United Learning’s Bournemouth cluster and many more schools en route to their final destination – the Richard Rose Academies in Carlisle.

United Learning schools nationwide will be eagerly watching Shaun and Bruce’s progress, as well as delivering on an exciting calendar of their own supporting events. The aim of it all will to be to raise money for Sport Relief and SITUPS, the Group’s own project which uses the power of sport to drive improvement across its schools. Overall, thousands of pupils and their teachers will be taking part in Ride ABC in some way and participation will span primary and secondary phases and independent and state-funded academies.

Plans so far include Shoreham Academy’s demanding ‘Tough Runner’ course, which will involve students, teachers and parents. Students and staff at both Manchester Academy and William Hulme’s Grammar School will be undertaking an Iron Man Triathlon. For this, Shaun and Bruce will be joining the runners to start their demanding two relay marathons before getting back on their bikes for the next stage of their journey. The pair will also have some much needed support from 60 Salford City Academy students, who will be meeting them on bikes and cycling with them to their academy.

75% of the funds raised from the mammoth Ride ABC challenge are being donated to Sport Relief, with the remaining 25% going towards United Learning’s SITUPS project.

Shaun Dowling, Head of Sport for United Learning and Ride ABC cyclist said:

“We are delighted to be teaming up with Sport Relief this year for Ride ABC. We have already been overwhelmed by the support United Learning schools have given this project and are thrilled that so many of our students will have the opportunity to be involved in some exciting physical challenge activities, whilst raising money for two brilliant charities.”

Bruce Wilson, Educational Technologist for United Learning and Ride ABC cyclist said:

“I am extremely excited by the physical and mental challenges that lie ahead on our week long cycle ride.  It’s going to be quite an adventure through some amazing parts of our country.

“I’ve done many endurance challenges in the past, but never this many days back to back, so I hope the aging body will hold up.

“I’m enormously thankful to United Sport and United Learning for giving Shaun and me this opportunity. We are both very much looking forward to raising a huge amount of money for United Sport and Sport Relief and if we can inspire some young people along the way to live healthier and more active lives then that would also be tremendous.”

To donate to Ride ABC please visit: https://www.mydonate.bt.com/events/rideabc/ 

United Learning are extremely grateful to have the support of Cycle Tech UK, the UK’s largest co-operative of cycle mechanics. For mobile cycle repair specialists in your area visit: http://www.cycletechuk.com


Posted: Feb 5, 2018,
Comments: 0,
Author: Web Support


Website Terms & Privacy

United Learning