Students celebrating following landmark exam success
Students and staff at The Totteridge Academy are celebrating today after achieving the best ever GCSE results in the school’s history.
67% of students have achieved five or more A* to C grades including a 4 or above in both English and maths, using the new 9-1 measures. This is over 20 percentage points higher than results achieved in August 2016; since then the school has joined United Learning and new Principal Chris Fairbairn has taken up post.
In addition to the significant overall improvements, there were a number of notable individual successes, including:
- Head Boy Matthew Evans, who achieved grade 9s in English Language, English Literature and maths, five A*s and one A. This included a perfect mark of 400 out of 400 in his GCSE graphics.
- Ortensa Paci, who joined the school from Italy at the beginning of Year 10 and learnt English as an additional language. Ortensa achieved one grade 8, one grade 7, two A*s and two As.
- Joseph Cannon, who achieved one grade 9 and two grade 8s, as well as two A*s and three As;
- Ryan Cunnington, who achieved two grade 8s, one grade 7, two A*s, three As and one Distinction* BTEC;
- Maciej Gutowski, who achieved two grade 9s, four A*s and three As;
- Bethany Brown, who achieved one grade 7, four As and one Distinction* BTEC.
Chris Fairbairn, Principal of The Totteridge Academy, said:
“I feel incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved this year. These fantastic grades are a reflection of the relentless hard work of the students and the staff at The Totteridge Academy, as well as the invaluable support of United Learning. It is a privilege to be here today giving the students their well-deserved results and celebrating their success. The commitment and enthusiasm that they have shown will stand them in good stead for the future and inspire the younger students here to follow their lead.”
Dame Sally Coates, Director of Secondary Education at United Learning, said:
“This is a watershed year for The Totteridge Academy, with such a significant improvement on their headline measure. These results reflect both the transformation underway at the school under the leadership of Chris Fairbairn and his team and our overall approach at United Learning; that everyone should strive for the very best. It serves as an inspiration for other schools – demonstrating just how much is possible in only a year.”