Three committees advise on matters defined by their terms of reference: the Finance Committee; the Risk and Audit Committee; and the Nominations and Remuneration Committee. The minutes of the Finance Committee and the Risk and Audit Committee are made available to the Group Board. The Chair of the Risk and Audit Committee reports to the Group Board twice a year.
Finance – Neil Davidson
Risk & Audit – Neil MacDonald
Noms and Rem – Richard Greenhalgh
ESPC – Dame Yasmin Bevan
The Finance Committee’s purpose is to:
- ensure that the charitable company properly plans the use of its finances and is adequately funded to undertake projected expenditure;
- review and recommend the annual budgets for approval by the board;
- monitor financial performance against agreed budgets;
- ensure, with the Risk and Audit Committee, that the charitable company's financial statements are supported accurately by management accounts; and
- monitor and review the charitable company's arrangements in relation to investments and make recommendations to the board in relation to the appointment and removal of investment advisors.
The Chair of the Finance Committee is Sir Anthony Greener.
The Risk and Audit Committee’s purpose is to:
- create and ensure implementation of a risk management framework for the Group and to oversee disaster recovery;
- ensure the charitable company's annual financial statements are supported accurately by management accounts and other financial reports presented to them by all schools and academies;
- ensure effective audit functions are in place (both external and internal);
- ensure adequate risk management processes are in place; and
- ensure an adequate internal control environment is established.
The Chair of the Risk and Audit Committee is Professor Colin Coulson-Thomas.
The Group Nominations and Remuneration Committee’s purpose is to:
- to ensure that the Trust discharges its responsibilities for educational improvement in providing excellent education so that all pupils are able to progress, achieve and to go on to succeed in life.
- to advise the Group Board with respect to group strategic educational priorities and key performance indicators
- to provide an overview, scrutiny and challenge of education performance of all schools
- to receive reports from the Executive Team regarding education standards and performance of schools, and to hold the Executive Team to account, against the approved group strategic priorities and key performance indicators relating to schools’ educational performance
- to review annually the performance of local/cluster governing bodies to ensure they are operating at maximum effectiveness
- To receive reports from the Executive Team regarding safeguarding, and to hold the Executive Team to account regarding the effectiveness of policies and processes designed to keep children safe.
The Chair of the Nominations and Remuneration Committee is Mr Richard Greenhalgh.
Details of Trustee appointments, attendance at meetings and business interests can be viewed here.