Former Manchester United midfielder Quinton Fortune gave an inspirational speech about his sporting life and achievements when he was guest of honour at Manchester Academy's annual awards ceremony.
Now in its fifth year, this year’s event took place at Manchester United’s Old Trafford ground on Thursday 15th November, when Quinton – who won three Premier League titles with Manchester United in the 1999/00, 2000/01 and 2002/03 seasons – joined Academy Principal James Eldon and guests to celebrate student achievements.
During the ceremony, the former footballer gave a fascinating insight into his move to the UK from South Africa and how it shaped him as a person. He also credited his parents for supporting him throughout his career, which also saw him represent South Africa in the 1998 and 2002 World Cup, 1998, 2000 and 2002 African Nations Cup and 2000 Sydney Olympics.
As well as highlighting the achievements of current students with prizes for each individual year group and subject area, the event also shone the spotlight on the academy’s former Year 11s and their summer GCSE success. Each winner received a certificate and personal medal.
Special awards were also made to the following former Year 11 students :-
- Service to School – Foysal Miah
- Vinelife Community Prize – Omran Afan
- Overcoming Adversity – Nehemiah McKenzie
- Peer support – Josh Pinnock
- Employability – Aaron Edwards
- Achievement –Taha Al Mansouri who achieved 86.5 points across 12 qualifications in his GCSEs. He achieved four 9s, one A^, one A*, one 8, 6, two 5s, one 4 and one B.
- Sportsman of the Year – Osman Mohamed
- Sportswoman of the Year – Seineb Musa
- The Ian Jackson Determination Prize – Aiza Najeeb
- Year 11 Director Prize – Ermiya Eskandary
Guests enjoyed musical entertainment during the evening from our students Saliha Abd Allah, Bronwyn Bull, Madeline Cox, Lara Morris, Hannah Jan, Muhammad Ahmad, David Lowe and Thomas Mohamed.
Commenting on the event, Mr. Eldon said:
“Thank you to all the families, students and brilliant staff who attended our annual Awards Ceremony at Old Trafford, which celebrated our students’ fantastic achievements. There were so many superstars and it was brilliant to have Quinton Fortune as our guest speaker who told us his inspiring story and helped us celebrate.”