Staff and students at Midhurst Rother College are celebrating after receiving "Outstanding" - the highest Ofsted ranking - in every single category following a full two-day inspection at the beginning of May.
Staff and students at Midhurst Rother College are celebrating after receiving Outstanding - the highest Ofsted ranking - in every single category following a full two-day inspection at the beginning of May.
In the Report, Midhurst Rother College, which opened in 2009 and is a member of United Learning, received the highest ranking in all four Ofsted inspection judgements:
- Achievement of pupils
- Quality of teaching
- Behaviour and safety of pupils
- Leadership and management.
Across the board, Ofsted inspectors were exceptionally impressed with everything they witnessed at the College from the leadership of staff to the aspirations of students.
Quotes from the Report, which has been sent to all parents and put on the College’s website, include:
- 'Students’ achievement is outstanding'.
- 'The college has a culture of improvement, based on rigorous self-evaluation and improvement plans. A high degree of collaboration between staff, and a culture in which each student is an individual, is at the heart of everything the college does'.
- 'Students’ behaviour is exemplary. They are courteous and considerate'.
- 'Students’ attitudes to learning are exemplary throughout the college'.
- 'Sixth form students benefit from outstanding teaching, leadership, and pastoral support, and gain examination grades that are in the top 25 per cent nationally'.
- 'Nearly two thirds of the teaching is outstanding'.
- Teachers’ exceptionally good subject knowledge contributes greatly to the development of work for the most-able students. Such students are challenged at a high level by the perceptive questioning and by opportunities for creative learning'.
- 'Students and their parents fully acknowledge the college’s success in promoting outstanding learning, which they see as an entitlement'.
- 'The Principal (and college leaders at all levels) work with a high degree of unity of purpose, with the aim of securing consistently outstanding teaching'.
- 'Teachers new to the profession celebrate the inspirational approach of the Principal'.
- 'The governors work with the Principal to make sure that partnerships are promoted and work for the benefit of the students in the college. These include links with universities and with major local companies and schools'.
Dr Joe Vitagliano, Principal of Midhurst Rother College, said:
'This is an achievement that everyone associated with the college can be proud of. At our first Ofsted inspection as an academy we were told we were Satisfactory, with some key areas already being Outstanding at this early point. However, our job was to convert all judgements to this standard. We knew that to become totally Outstanding would require a relentless focus on improvement which I am delighted to say has resulted in this outcome less than two years later.
'I am particularly pleased for our staff who work incredibly hard throughout the year to give our students the education they deserve. We feel proud of the fact parents and students believe outstanding learning is an entitlement. We hold this expectation close to our hearts and seize every opportunity to live up to it.
'This Ofsted judgement comes towards the end of a superb year for the college. We began early last autumn by celebrating the significant increase in our GCSE and A Level results. Then we received more applications than ever before to attend the college this coming September. And we moved into our excellent new building, which finally brought the whole college onto one site. We thought our memorable Opening Ceremony on the 19 April would be the high point of the year – how wrong we were!'
Andy Buck, Managing Director – Academies at United Learning, said:
'This is appropriate recognition for the excellent work of Dr Joe Vitagliano, colleagues and students at the college. They deserve all the plaudits that Ofsted have given and it is yet another significant achievement for this special team. I am delighted for them and for what this represents in demonstrating how far the college has come in the past few years'.