From girls’ football to Under-13’s cricket, Accrington Academy’s sporting prowess has earned it the coveted School Games Silver Mark Award.
The School Games Mark is a government-led award scheme, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust, which rewards schools for participating in sporting competitions.
The academy was given the award following a highly successful academic year during which:
- The Year 7, 8 and 9 Netball Teams were victorious in the Hyndburn Netball League;
- Five academy teams represented Hyndburn at the Level 3 Lancashire School Games;
- Years 7 and 9 took the titles of Hyndburn Rounders Champions;
- Academy students represented Hyndburn and Ribble Valley in the Lancashire Cross Country Championships;
- The Gymnastics A Team won first place at the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Gymnastics Competition;
- All of the academy’s boys’ football teams qualified for and played in the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Premier League;
- The Year 10 Football Team won the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Cup and League double;
- The Key Stage 3 Girls’ Football Team became Hyndburn champions in the central venue tournament;
- The Under 13’s Cricket team reached the last 16 in the Lancashire Cup.
Commenting on the School Games Silver Mark Award, Accrington Academy’s Head of PE, Susan Tahraoui said:
“We are extremely proud of our students for their dedication to all aspects of school sport, including those young volunteers, leaders and officials who made our various competition successes possible.”
Accrington Academy’s Head Teacher James Kerfoot added:
"As a school committed to the provision of an Education with Character, we are delighted to have received official recognition for our various achievements across the sporting spectrum. A huge well done and congratulations to all involved.”