Paddington Academy students are celebrating after receiving the academy’s best ever A Level results today. As well as improving on last year’s excellent results, there was further cause for celebration as one student secured a place at Cambridge University and many more earned the grades they needed to study at the universities of their choice including UCL, Imperial College, London and Nottingham University.
With no equivalents included, an impressive fifth (20%) of A Level entries achieved the top A* and A grades for the second consecutive year. 50% of all A Level entries were awarded A* to B, rising from 43% last summer, whilst the proportion of pure A Level entries earning A* to C grades climbed nine percentage points to 79%. The academy’s A Level results have seen a four year trend of improvement.
Amongst the successes for the Paddington Academy Sixth Form as a whole, there were a number of notable individual successes including:
- Sabina Begum who achieved A*A*A (English Literature, Psychology, History & A* EPQ) and will read History at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge;
- Loui Silawi-Ahwazi who achieved A*A*A*A (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Economics) and will read Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London;
- Jack McKinney who achieved A*A*A (Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics) and will read Mathematics at Birmingham University;
- Linah Al-Siri who achieved A*AA (Chemistry, Mathematics and Arabic) and will read Chemical Engineering at UCL;
- Tommy Mecca who achieved A*AA (Maths, Further Maths and Physics) and will read Physics at UCL.
Commenting on her results, Sabina Begum said:
“I am just so pleased to have got my place at Cambridge. Something like this is something you wish for but never quite believe can actually happen. I am really, really grateful for all the support I got from the teachers and my fellow students.”
Loui Silawi-Ahwazi said:
“I have loved my time at Paddington Academy – it is far more than a school – it is like a second home and everyone here has been so amazing in encouraging me and helping me make the right choices and achieve my grades.”
Peter Jones, Principal: Students of Paddington Academy, said:
“We are immensely proud of all our students who are celebrating today. Every single one of them has worked tremendously hard to achieve these grades and we are thrilled that so many of them have secured places at the universities of their choice.
“We are absolutely delighted for Sabina who becomes our third ever student to secure a place at Oxbridge. All of our departing Sixth Formers have been a real credit to Paddington Academy and I wish them all the best for a confident and successful future.”